TESL Ontario is pleased to provide this Grandparenting Clause for the recognition of the TESL Canada approved Standard 1 Certificate Programs.
The terms and conditions of the TESL Ontario Grandparenting Clause are as follows:
- The Grandparenting Clause remains open for two years: from April 2018 to March 2020.
- All existing TESL Canada approved Standard 1 Certificate Programs are eligible to apply for TESL Ontario accreditation through this Grandparenting Clause.
- TESL Ontario does not require any changes to the content and structure of the existing TESL Canada approved Standard 1 Programs.
- TESL Ontario recognizes the grandparented programs as “Canadian TESOL Training Program (CTESOL Training Program)” and awards them the “Canadian TESOL Training Program Certificate (CTESOL Training Program Certificate)”.
- TESL Ontario posts the name, location (city and province), mode of presentation, and contact information of the grandparented programs on its website.
- TESL Ontario does not charge any application fees.
- TESL Ontario does not charge any fees for the initial accreditation of the grandparented programs.
- Initial accreditation of the grandparented programs remains valid for one year from the date of approval.
- The annual renewal of program accreditation is contingent on the submission of an annual report and an annual renewal fee of $350 (plus HST). Standard 1 Programs that have already renewed their TESL Canada accreditation to 2020, 2021, or 2022 will not be charged the TESL Ontario annual renewal fee until their existing renewal date, as applicable. Also, their first renewal report will be due on their existing renewal date, as applicable.
- The individuals teaching for the grandparented programs are automatically grandparented (at no cost) so that they can continue teaching in the same program. The grandparented staff are not granted the TESL Ontario TESL Trainer Certificate of Approval. If interested, these individuals are required to submit their application package to TESL Ontario, meet the current TESL Trainer Approval requirements, and pay the applicable fees. Detailed information on application process and requirements is available at http://www.teslontario.org/accreditation/trainer
- All new hires and the grandparented staff who would like to move to another TESL Ontario accredited program are required to hold the TESL Ontario TESL Trainer Certificate of Approval.
- TESL Ontario reserves the right to perform site visits to both accredited programs and programs being considered for accreditation.
- If an accredited program does not submit its annual report on or before the due date, its accreditation will expire on the accreditation renewal due date shown on the program certificate, and the program will be taken off TESL Ontario’s website on the same date. To regain its accredited status, the program will be required to apply for accreditation as a new program.
- Should TESL Ontario accreditation be granted to a program, any subsequent changes including, but not limited to, changes in address/location, ownership, staff, staff assignments, curriculum (training structure, course descriptions, course outlines, etc.), facilities, practicum locations, phone numbers, and email addresses must be forwarded to TESL Ontario for approval 30 calendar days in advance of any changes.
- If a grandparented program sets up another program in a new location, it is considered to be a new program and must apply for the TESL Ontario accreditation.
- If the ownership of a grandparented program changes, the program is considered to be a new program and must apply for the TESL Ontario accreditation as a new program.
Grandparented programs may use the TESL Ontario logo and statement of program recognition (see below) on their promotional materials and websites. Also, these programs may use the TESL Ontario statement of program recognition on the certificates awarded to the program graduates.
TESL Ontario Statement of Program Recognition: "This CTESOL training program is recognized by TESL Ontario.
- TESL Ontario reserves the right to revoke its accreditation of a grandparented program if the program does not comply with the terms and conditions of the TESL Ontario Grandparenting Clause, as outlined in this document.
The TESL Canada approved Standard 1 Programs that are interested in being grandparented into the TESL Ontario accreditation are required to submit the following documents to the TESL Ontario Office:
- Completed and signed Application Form A-15
- Original or authorized photocopy of valid TESL Canada Standard 1 Program Certificate
- (For private institutions) Original or authorized photocopy of valid certificate of registration
- Training curriculum, course descriptions, and course outlines
- Institutional policies such as policies for student appeals, student complaints, student evaluation, and withdrawal from the program
- (If applicable) A brief description of any external evaluation procedures performed on a regular basis
- A copy of each TESL instructor’s up-to-date resume outlining their university education and TESL certification, adult ESL teaching experience, TESL teaching experience, and other relevant qualifications and experiences
- Sample certificate of graduation
- A waiver notifying applicants that completing a CTESOL Training Program does not meet the TESL training requirement of the TESL Ontario Accreditation. To be eligible for the TESL Ontario Accreditation application, the CTESOL Training Program graduates are required to go through the second part of the training (a minimum of 180 hours) through a TESL Ontario accredited program. They should also meet the university degree and the English language proficiency (ELP) requirements of TESL Ontario accreditation. Each applicant must sign the waiver confirming that they have read and understood it.
Please mail or deliver to the TESL Ontario Office one hard copy of your application package as well as one electronic copy of the same application package in Word or PDF format on a USB flash drive. The TESL Ontario mailing address is
27 Carlton Street, Suite 405
Toronto Ontario M5B 1L2
Applications will be processed in a maximum of two months from the date all required documents are in order.
If you have any questions, please contact Reza Mazloom-Farzaghy, TESL Ontario Accreditation Services Manager, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 416-593-4243, ext. 205.