The TESL Ontario Board of Directors is a group of committed, enthusiastic members who ensure TESL Ontario meets its Strategic Objectives and who establish policies governing TESL Ontario.
We are looking for TESL Ontario members with a passion for the field and a wealth of experience to serve with us on TESL Ontario’s Board of Directors.
We are looking for candidates who:
- are TESL Ontario members
- have served on a TESL Ontario affiliate board or have board experience on a not-for-profit board
- are visionary thinkers who can see “the big picture”
- are committed to the vision and mission of the TESL Ontario
- demonstrate leadership qualities
- work well in a collaborative environment
- are comfortable making decisions and delegating
- are comfortable with electronic communication
- are disciplined and creative
- have a wide range of experiences in the field of English as a Second Language
- have 10 hours per month to commit to the Board-related activities
- are actively involved in the ESL/English language prefession in Ontario
About Our Board
TESL Ontario is looking for committed, enthusiastic members to serve on TESL Ontario’s Board of Directors. The TESL Ontario Board operates with a pure Policy Governance model. All positions are Members-at-Large. Elections are held in the fall and the new slate of Directors is presented at the TESL Ontario Annual General Meeting. The offices of Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary and Treasurer are all elected from within the Board of Directors after the AGM. New board members will be mentored by experienced board members.
Open Positions for 2018-2019:
- three 3-year term director positions
Benefits of Volunteering as a TESL Ontario Board of Director
Give back to the profession by:
- shaping and contributing to the direction of the profession
- advocating for learners through the activities of the association
Build your career by:
- developing skills in the areas of leadership, decision making, problem solving, communication, and advocacy
- increasing your knowledge of professional issues
- adding your volunteer experience to your resume
Expand your network of colleagues by:
- meeting ESL professionals from across the province
- building friendships and networks
Learn more about the activities of a not-for-profit association by:
- participating in orientation to your role on the Board
- working with a supportive group of professionals
- gaining knowledge of Policy Governance and the meeting process
Directors are expected to serve a 3-year term, with the option for election to another consecutive 3-year term. Meetings will occur 5 or 6 times a year. Most Board meetings will be held through videoconference using Tutela. There will however be some face-to-face meetings on Saturdays held in Toronto. For these face-to-face meetings, TESL Ontario will cover all travel, accommodation and meal expenses. Flexibility of working hours is a definite asset. Competent computer skills are necessary to actively participate on this Board as much communication is conducted electronically.
The Election Process
In keeping with TESL Ontario’s By-laws and Procedures:
- The Nominating Committee will review all applicants based on their commitment to TESL Ontario’s Strategic Priorities, personal strengths, past experience relevant to the current needs of the board, and their experience and/or commitment to English language training delivery.
- Nominations from the floor at the AGM will not be accepted.
- The Board will present a slate of candidates to all TESL Ontario members to review.
- Elections for all Board positions will be voted on in the fall. Procedure details will be included in Contact, on the website and will be communicated to the membership.
- The new Board of Directors will be presented at TESL Ontario’s Annual General Meeting on Thursday, November 1, 2018 at the Sheraton Centre Hotel, Toronto, Ontario.
How to apply
- Nominations to be submitted using the online Expression of Interest form and must include a current résumé.
- Nominations must be received in writing at the TESL Ontario office by June 11, 2018 by 12:00 noon.