Conference Registration Fees
HST is not included
|One Day||Two Day|
|TESL Ontario Member||$190||$290|
Registration open: September 25 through October 23
Conference Brochure available online: September 12
|Gamification in Education: Hype or Useful Teacher Tool?||Learning and Resilience|
Dr. Deborah Healey
University of Oregon/TESOL International Association
Sanctuary Refugee Health Centre
Monetizing your Professional Skills
|Connecting Accreditation to Employment||
Coaching for Success
Owner of Teacher to Teacherpreneur and Happiness @ Work
Reza Mazloom-Farzaghy, OCELT, MA TESL
Accreditation Services Manager, TESL Ontario
Sheridan College & ACCES Employment
Calling All Employers!
Are you a hiring manager looking to connect with more than 800 ESL professionals across Ontario? Register for your free employer exhibit table.
- Yves Saint-Germain, Director, Language Policy, Francophone Communities and Performance Measurements, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
- Yvonne Ferrer, Director, Program Management and Evaluation, Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services, Citizenship and Immigration Division
- Monica Neitzert, Director, Lifelong Learning and Essential Skills Branch, Workforce Policy and Innovation Division, Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development
The TechKnow session will have approximately 15 tables with one presenter at each table focusing on a specific use of technology. Presenters will speak for 6 minutes on their chosen topic. Following the short presentation there will be 6 minutes to answer any questions. Attendees then change tables to listen to another presenter/topic. Presenters will present their information four times and attendees can move to 4 different tables within the one-hour time slot.
Table Topics will include:
- Blended Synchronous Language Teaching
- Blockchain's Uses for Education
- Collaborative Activities with Nearpod
- Curate and Collaborate with Padlet
- Find Tutela Resouces
- Google Classroom in Adult ESL
- Gotta Get Goosechasin'
- Keeping Webinar Participants Engaged
- LINC and Google Classroom
- Making Google Translate Work
- QR codes for workshops
- QUIZLET- the magic of vocabulary teaching
- Remind.com: Communication Tool
- Teaching through Virtual Reality
- TED Talks ESL App
- Using H5P effectively
In cooperation with Languages Canada, we are pleased to host a panel discussion titled “Global Perspectives on Quality Assurance and Teacher Qualifications” from members of Quality Assurance in Language Education Network (QALEN) featuring participants from Languages Canada, Orion Assessment Services, British Council, NEAS, and English New Zealand.
Qalen is a Network of accrediting and Quality Assurance bodies in the English language education sector, with representation in the US, Canada, the UK, Australia New Zealand, Malta, and South Africa. The network holds an annual symposium to discuss issues related to Quality Assurance and Accreditation.
One of the most complex issues that comes up at every QALEN symposium is Teacher Qualifications. Establishing minimal teacher qualification standards for the accreditation of language programs is a difficult task given the variation in qualifications that exist throughout the world. One of the long-term projects that the QALEN network has been working on is a mapping document between countries comparing different levels of qualification required to teach in accredited programs across the QALEN network.
Using this mapping document as a starting point, this panel discussion will focus on teacher qualifications, and trends related to English language teacher qualifications globally. More specifically, it will focus on the differences and similarities that we find across the different accreditation schemes, examine some of the challenges that QALEN members face in establishing standards around teacher qualifications, and discuss current and future trends related to teacher qualifications.
Facilitator: Julian Inglis, Quality Assurance Committee Co-Chair, Languages Canada:
- Wayne Dyer, Chair, English New Zealand: email@example.com
- Ana Bratkovic, General Manager, NEAS(Australia): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Liz McLaren, Manager Accreditation UK , British Council: Elizabeth.McLaren@britishcouncil.org
- Ali Noori, Co Chair Quality Assurance Committee, Languages Canada Ali.Noori@ilsc.com ;
- David Huebel Orion Assessment Services: email@example.com
- Reza Mazloom-Farzaghy, TESL ON:, Accreditation Services Manager
The Joint Program Administrators’ Meeting will be held on Friday, November 2, 2018 from 12:30 pm - 3:00 pm. Further details will be emailed to program administrators from your respective funders.
TESL Ontario is your association and we are hard at work on your behalf.
Join us at the Annual General Meeting for association updates and to ask your questions. The TESL Ontario Annual General Meeting will be held on Thursday, November 1, 2018 from 9:50 am - 10:50 am at the Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel located at 123 Queen Street West, Toronto, ON in the Dominion Ballroom North.
There will be draws for four gift baskets for AGM attendees. Each gift basket includes a free annual membership or a free two-day conference pass for the 2019 Annual Conference and sweet treats.