Posted: May 8, 2017
Faculty/Department: Continuing and Professional Studies
Employee Group: Academic
Campus: Trafalgar (May be assigned activities at any Sheridan campus)
Application Deadline: June 2, 2017
Start Date: August 2017
Reference Number: 17/F/35
Salary Range: $61,638 - $106,853 (based on relevant educational qualifications and experience)
The Faculty of Continuing and Professional Studies at Sheridan is looking for outstanding and creative individuals to join our Faculty team. The incumbent will be responsible for providing academic leadership, developing innovative curriculum, and teaching in the Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) program. Within the classroom, the Professor will develop an effective learning environment for students that respects all individual learning styles as well as the diverse cultural and educational backgrounds of students. Beyond the classroom, the Professor will contribute to the ongoing mandates of our Faculty through enhancing program quality, participating in collaborative projects with other full and part-time faculty, and engaging within the broader framework of Sheridan’s strategic and Creativity initiatives.
Sheridan’s LINC program is a federally funded program for newcomers to Canada. Sheridan has been helping newcomers to improve their English language skills for more than 40 years.
- Ensuring that program and course curricula are current, relevant and reflective of best practices within the relevant professional/program disciplines;
- Defining, evaluating and validating learning outcomes for courses and programs;
- Creating an effective environment for applied learning which accommodates students’ diverse cultural and educational backgrounds, experiences and learning styles;
- Designing appropriate strategies and tools for facilitating and assessing student learning that are invitational and reflective of best practices in teaching and learning;
- Developing appropriate strategies and tools to assess student performance that are consistent with the learning outcomes of the course and address multiple learning styles;
- Developing multi-media materials and alternative delivery strategies, and incorporating appropriate educational technologies into the applied learning process;
- Ensuring that students are aware of course learning outcomes, learning strategies and evaluation techniques;
- Assessing incoming student language proficiency for placement purposes;
- Providing individual and group advising and counselling; and evaluating student progress/achievement within assigned courses; and facilitating student promotion and advancement processes.
- A Master’s degree in the field of ESL, Applied Linguistics or related field is required; PhD preferred;
- TESL Ontario/Canada certification required;
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in teaching and curriculum development and/or leadership in an adult education environment;
- Experience with on-line delivery of curriculum and using technology to enrich English language learning;
- Experience in English language assessment and applying the Canadian Language Benchmarks;
- Strong network of contacts with other professionals in the English language teaching industry;
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational, leadership and problem solving skills;
- Committed to excellence in teaching and learning and to working within a team environment;
- Experience working with Refugees and learners with barriers to academic success;
- Experience with undergraduate/applied research in field of ESL, Applied Linguistics or related fields of study (asset).
Please apply online: https://careers-sheridancollege.icims.com