The Centre for Academic English at Centennial College is looking for qualified TESL trained tutors to work with our full and part time student population supporting our English communication courses in addition to reading, writing and speaking supports. Our tutors are classified as part time support staff and work up to a maximum of 24 hours per week. The Centre for Academic English reports to the Chair of English and ESL within the academic division of the School of Advancement, .
Tutors are responsible for delivering one on one tutoring and small group workshops based on the academic English curriculum in addition to any other writing that students may be working on relating to their program. Services are offered at all of our campuses (5). We try to accommodate requests based on location. Tutors may also be trained as advisors who provide options to students that write the Accuplacer assessment tool which is used for admissions/placement. Training is provided.
- Deliver one-on-one tutoring sessions and group workshops;
- Provide support and skill practice to students for oral and written communication;
- Offer support through active listening, questioning, explanation, examples and promoting independence;
- Work collaboratively with students, faculty, administrators, and staff across the college; and
- Work effectively in a team-based environment
- TESL Ontario certification required.
- Prior experience working in an English speaking institute in which the administrative language is only English.
- Demonstrated tutoring experience.
- Experience assisting in the development of writing skills.
- Ability to address language proficiency issues as they influence learning.
- Demonstrated experience working with L1 and L2 students.
- Experience working with students with learning disabilities an asset.
- Demonstrated understanding of diversity, equity and inclusion to meet the needs of our diverse students, staff and college community
Please provide resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org