Professor, English as a Second Language (2 positions)
Faculty: Humanities and Social Sciences
Employee Group: Academic
Campus: May be assigned activities at any Sheridan campus
Application Deadline: February 28, 2018
Application Details: Position has been reposted; previous applicants need not reapply
Start Date: August 2018
Reference Number: 17/F/48 and 18/F/07
Salary Range: $62,717 - $108,723 (based on relevant educational qualifications and experience)
The Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences at Sheridan is looking for outstanding and creative individuals to join our Faculty team. The incumbents will be responsible for providing academic leadership, developing innovative curriculum, and teaching in the ESL/EAP program. Within the classroom, the Professor will develop an effective learning environment for students that respects all individual learning styles as well as the diverse cultural and educational backgrounds of students in a range of post-secondary programs. Beyond the classroom, the Professor will contribute to the ongoing mandates of our Faculty through enhancing program quality, participating in collaborative projects with other full and part-time faculty, and engaging within the broader framework of Sheridan’s strategic and Creativity initiatives.
- Ensuring program and course curricula are current, relevant and reflective of best practices within the field of second language teaching and learning;
- Defining, evaluating and validating learning outcomes for courses and programs in accordance with the provincial and college guidelines;
- Designing and revising courses and programs in consultation with the program coordinator, other faculty members, government departments, and potential employers and students;
- Designing appropriate strategies and tools for facilitating and assessing student learning that are inclusive and reflective of best practices in teaching and learning, consistent with the learning outcomes of the course, and address multiple learning styles;
- Developing multi-media materials and alternative delivery strategies while incorporating appropriate educational technologies into the learning process;
- Contributing to program development and research that serves the needs of the students across the College with involvement in consultative committees;
- Ensuring that students are aware of course and program learning outcomes, learning strategies and evaluation techniques; carrying out regularly scheduled instruction; providing individual and academic tutoring and counselling; and evaluating student progress/achievement within assigned courses;
- Creating an effective environment for learning which respects and accommodates students’ diverse cultural and educational backgrounds, experiences and individual learning styles.
- Contributing to College, Faculty and program excellence by collaborating on a variety of initiatives such as new program development, student supports for ESL, Language Training, English and Communications, and alternative delivery and assessment strategies.
- A Master’s degree in the field of ESL, Applied Linguistics or related field is required; PhD preferred;
- TESL Ontario/Canada certification required; CELTA Teacher Trainer Certification or related credential for TESOL teaching preferred as is experience teaching TESOL courses;
- 5 years of experience in teaching and curriculum development and/or leadership in a post-secondary environment;
- Experience with on-line delivery of curriculum; Experience in English language assessment;
- Experience applying the Canadian Language Benchmarks and/or Common European Framework of Reference, Computer Assisted Language Learning strategies;
- Demonstrable ability to convey the conceptual and applied aspects of knowledge to a broad range of students;
- Evidence of developing ESL support in a broader post-secondary/college context;
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational, leadership and problem solving skills;
- Committed to excellence in teaching and learning and to working within a team environment;
- Experience with undergraduate/applied research in field of ESL, Applied Linguistics or related fields of study (asset).
Please apply online: https://careers-sheridancollege.icims.com