COSTI REQUIRES A LINC LEVEL 0-1 INSTRUCTOR FOR ITS
LANGUAGE & SKILLS TRAINING SERVICES,
RICHMOND HILL WELCOME CENTRE
COSTI is a multicultural organization providing social services, settlement,
employment, and language training services. For more information about COSTI,
please visit our website at www.costi.org.
This is a union position scheduled to work 25 hours per week providing teaching to a separate morning and afternoon class.
No classes during the following closure periods:
March 11, 2019 – March 15, 2019
- Design, implement, and instruct English as a Second Language classes in a LINC program based on the PBLA (Portfolio Based Language Assessment) guidelines.
- Design PBLA based module plans as well as daily lesson plans following the Revised Canadian Language Benchmarks 2012 and the LINC Curriculum Guidelines.
- Develop a diversity of course materials that are based on the Curriculum Guidelines in a task-based program for CLBs 0-1.
- Conduct on-going needs assessments with learners, assist them to set learning goals and develop lessons accordingly.
- Design assessment tasks for on-going evaluation of learners’ progress based on the Canadian Language Benchmarks and PBLA guidelines.
- Assist learners in organizing and updating the PBLA Language Companions (learner portfolios) as evidence of their learning progress.
- Prepare learners’ conference summary and progress reports. Conduct one-on-one interviews with learners to provide feedback on learning progress.
- Provide computer-assisted instruction using language learning software and MS Office programs.
- Integrate online resources and delivery tools such as LearnIT2Teach in language instruction.
- Maintain attendance records and other documentation as required.
- Organize special events to enhance learners’ participation and cultural experience.
- Assist in outreach activities to recruit LINC clients as required.
- TESL ON certificate from an accredited institution recognized by TESL Ontario
- Minimum 3 year of experience teaching English as a Second Language to adult newcomers
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience teaching CLBs 0-1
- In depth understanding of and experience using the Revised Canadian Language Benchmarks 2012 and the LINC Curriculum Guidelines
- Preference will be given to candidates who have completed PBLA (Portfolio Based Language Assessment) and LearnIT2Teach Stage 2 training
- Experience providing online training will be an asset
- Experience providing adult instruction using software associated with the LINC Program (i.e., Ellis, Clarity and Explore Canada) as well as Microsoft Word, Excel email and the Internet
- Ability to adapt teaching methodology to the needs/skill levels of individual learners
- Excellent English communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience working in a multicultural environment
- Demonstrated sensitivity to the needs of adult immigrants and refugees.
- Ability to work independently with excellent organizational and time management skills
Note: Successful incumbent must complete online PBLA training within 3 months when training becomes available.
LOCATION: 9325 Yonge Street Unit 31A, Richmond Hill
START DATE: January 7, 2019
SALARY: $37.51 per hour
POSTING DATE: November 28, 2018
CLOSING DATE: December 12, 2018
Priority consideration will be given to those on Notice of Recall.
Priority consideration will be given to union members.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes and cover letters,
quoting reference #147-18, to:
Manager, Staffing and Orientation
COSTI Immigrant Services
1710 Dufferin Street
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: 416.658.8537