Ongoing professional development (PD) is an important aspect of TESL Ontario accreditation for many reasons. It stimulates the circulation of creative ideas, innovative techniques, and new research among TESL Ontario accredited instructors. A record of PD activities signifies the academic currency and depth embedded in accreditation and lends weight to TESL Ontario's advocacy of the recognition and regulation of professional standards for the "adult ESL instructor profession" in Ontario.
To be eligible for accreditation renewal in 2015, TESL Ontario accredited members are required to complete 10 PD hours at any time during the period from their renewal month in 2014 to their renewal month in 2015.
To be recognized as PD, an activity must meet the following criteria:
- It will increase the participants' knowledge of the theories, methods, or techniques of teaching English as a second/foreign language or their knowledge of a subject closely related to TESL/TEFL such as principles of adult learning, classroom management, diversity training, culture, multiculturalism, assessment, and technology in the classroom.
- It will augment participants' teaching English as a second language skills and classroom performance.
PD is above and beyond the day-to-day requirements of the applicant's professional duties. Therefore, an activity (or a component of an activity) the applicant is required to carry out as part of their daily professional responsibilities does not count towards the PD hours required for accreditation renewal.
TESL Ontario acknowledges that accredited members experience professional development regularly in the performance of their teaching responsibilities and there are many valuable PD activities they may participate in during work hours or personal time. The activities listed under “Activities Recognized as PD” are confined to those specific PD activities that can be used for the purposes of accreditation renewal.
Please note that additional PD hours completed in any given accreditation year cannot be carried over to the following accreditation year, with the excepton of those hours completed during the renewal month. PD hours during the renewal month can be considered for either the current accreditation year or the new one.
Please be advised that 10% of renewals due in every given month are selected randomly and receive a PD Audit Notice about a month before the renewal due date . The selected members will be required to submit (mail, fax, email, or deliver) their proof of PD by their accreditation expiry date to be eligible for accreditation renewal. A one-month grace period will be granted if the required PD is not submitted by the renewal due date. At the end of the grace period, accreditation will lapse if PD is still outstanding.
The following individuals are automatically removed from PD audit selection process for the accreditation year/s when the recognized PD activity has been completed:
- TESL Ontario Board Members
- Members of the TESL Ontario working committees
- Members of the TESL Ontario Affiliate Chapter Executive Committees
- Accredited members who participated in the TESL Ontario Conference for a minimum of 10 hours
- Accredited members who complete a PTCT course and apply to TESL Ontario for PTCT Certificate of Achievement