OCELT stands for Ontario Certified English Language Teacher. OCELT Certificate and Professional Designation recognizes that
a certificate holder has the knowledge and skills required for teaching English to adult learners in all publicly funded and private
programs in Ontario, other Canadian provinces and territories, and abroad. ICTEAL stands for Internationally Certified Teacher of
English as an Additional Language. ICTEAL Certificate and Professional Designation recognizes the certificate holder’s knowledge
and skills to teach English in other countries.
Applicants are not required to be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
You must have the following qualifications to be eligible for OCELT & ICTEAL Certificates and Professional Designations:
To apply for new standard membership:
- Select "New Membership Type".
- Fill out all sections of the form (N-1, N-2, N-3, or N-4).
- Submit the form.
- Pay the fee.
To apply for standard membership renewal:
- Select "Membership Renewal Type".
- Fill out all sections of the form (R-3, R-4, R-5, or R-6).
- Submit the form.
- Pay the fee.
2. University Education: a three or four year bachelor’s degree, or a master's degree, or a PhD from an accredited institution located
in Canada, OR a degree deemed equivalent by a member agency of the Alliance of Credential Evaluation Services of Canada (ACESC),
- World Education Services (WES), Ontario
- International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS), Ontario
- Comparative Education Service (CES), Ontario
3. English Language Proficiency (ELP) demonstrated in one of three ways:
a) Completion of at least three years of full-time in-person instruction (or equivalent of that in part-time mode) leading to one or more
completed degrees (bachelor’s, master’s, PhD) with English as the language of instruction in an English-speaking country:
Canada, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Benin, Bermuda, Botswana, British Virgin
Islands, Cayman Islands, Cameroon, Dominica, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Montserrat, Nigeria, New Zealand, Republic of
Ireland, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, South Africa, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and
Caicos Islands, United Kingdom, United States, Uganda, US Virgin Islands, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
Online courses and research-based courses do not count as in-person instruction. Also, completion of non-degree programs, i.e., one
or more certificate or diploma programs, does not count as proof of ELP.
b) Minimum acceptable scores/bands from a TESL Ontario recognized ELP test taken within three years of the TESL Ontario Certification
- IELTS-Academic Test: Listening: 7, Reading: 7, Writing: 7, Speaking: 7
- CAEL-At a Test Centre: Listening: 70, Reading: 70, Writing: 70, Speaking: 70
- CAEL Online : Listening: 70, Reading: 70, Writing: 70, Speaking: 70
- TOEFL iBT: Listening: 24, Reading: 24, Writing: 27, Speaking: 26
- TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition:Listening: 24, Reading: 24, Writing: 27, Speaking: 26
TESL Ontario accepts a combination of two test reports (for the same ELP test taken twice or for two different ELP tests) indicating
that all required scores/bands have been obtained.
Test reports older than three years are considered on a case-by-case basis.
c) Evidence of grades 6-12 completed with English as the language of instruction in one of the countries listed in (a)
4. TESL Training: TESL Ontario accredited training consisting of at least 250 hours of instruction in TESL theory and methodology, at
least 30 hours of observation, and at least 20 hours of supervised practice teaching.
Required Supporting Documents
A university degree or official transcript in any discipline from Canada OR equivalency report if earned outside Canada
A language proficiency test report and/or evidence of education in English (as outlined above)
TESL certificate (or official transcript from a TESL Ontario accredited TESL training program
If applicable, proof of legal name change (e.g., marriage certificate, Legal Name Change document) in English or
a certified translation. This is only required if any of your documentation is under a different name than the one
you are applying under.
- Administration Fee: $141.25 (tax included)
- Pro-rated Certification Fee** - maximum $92.66 (tax included)
*All fees are non-refundable.
**The pro-rated certification fee covers the period starting from the certification reinstatement approval date to your current standard
membership renewal due date.
Submitting Your Application Package (application form, supporting documents, and fee)
Go to https://applications.teslontario.org/
Click on “Apply”.
Click on “Form A-1: TESL Ontario OCELT & ICTEAL Certification Application”.
Fill out all sections of the form and upload your supporting documents.
Submit your application form.
- Pay the application fee.
mail or in person at a later date.
TESL Ontario confirms the receipt of application packages by email in 1-2 business days.
Application packages are reviewed and applicants are notified of the results by email in 20-30 business days from the date of receipt.
Once an applicant is approved for certification, TESL Ontario notifies them of their approval by email.
- Approved applicants may then follow the instructions in the approval email to order their OCELT and ICTEAL Certificates through the TESL Ontario Registry. Once ordered, both certificates are emailed to the certified member immediately. If you encounter any technical issues, please contact TESL Ontario at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For operational reasons, TESL Ontario reserves the right to extend the application processing time, as necessary.
- TESL Ontario may request additional documentation beyond the requirements described above.
- All submitted documentation and information will be kept confidential.
- The standards and requirements of certification application are reviewed by the TESL Ontario Accreditation Standards Committee on a regular basis and are updated, as necessary.
- Any applicant who is denied the TESL Ontario certification shall have the right to appeal the decision to the TESL Ontario Appeals Committee within three months from the date the decision has been made. Please be aware that the degree and English language proficiency (ELP) requirements of the TESL Ontario certification are "non-appealable" requisites. For details about filing an appeal, please go to Appeals.
Questions? Please contact TESL Ontario by email at email@example.com or by phone at 416-593-4243, Ext. 205.