The TESL Ontario Board of Directors is a group of committed, enthusiastic members who ensure TESL Ontario meets its strategic objectives and who establish policies governing TESL Ontario.
We are looking for TESL Ontario members with a passion for the field and a wealth of experience to serve with us on TESL Ontario's Board of Directors.
We are looking for candidates who:
- are TESL Ontario members
- have served on a TESL Ontario affiliate executive or have board experience on a not-for-profit board
- are strategic thinkers who are committed to the vision and mission of TESL Ontario
- demonstrate leadership qualities
- work well in a collaborative environment
- are comfortable making decisions and delegating
- are comfortable with electronic communication and social media
- are disciplined and have creative problem solving skills
- have a wide range of experiences in the field of English as a Second Language
- have 10 hours per month to commit to the Board-related activities
- are actively involved in the ESL/English language teaching profession in Ontario
About Our Board
TESL Ontario is looking for committed, enthusiastic members to serve on TESL Ontario's Board of Directors. The TESL Ontario Board operates with a pure Policy Governance model. All positions are Members-at-Large. Elections are held in the fall and the new slate of Directors is presented at the TESL Ontario Annual General Meeting. The offices of Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary and Treasurer are all elected from within the Board of Directors after the AGM. New board members will be mentored by experienced board members.
Open Positions for 2019-2020:
- three 3-year term director positions
Benefits of Volunteering as a TESL Ontario Board of Director
Give back to the profession by:
- shaping and contributing to the direction of the profession
- promoting opportunities for professional development
Build your career by:
- developing skills in the areas of leadership, decision making, problem solving, communication, and advocacy
- increasing your knowledge of professional issues
- adding your volunteer experience to your resume
Expand your network of colleagues by:
- meeting ESL professionals from across the province
- building friendships and professional networks
Learn more about the activities of a not-for-profit association by:
- participating in orientation to your role on the Board
- working with a supportive group of professionals
- gaining knowledge of Policy Governance and the meeting process
Directors are expected to serve a 3-year term, with the option for election to another consecutive 3-year term. Meetings will occur 5 or 6 times a year. Most Board meetings will be held through video-conference using Tutela. However, some face-to-face meetings will be held on Saturdays in Toronto. For these face-to-face meetings, TESL Ontario will cover all travel, accommodation and meal expenses. Flexibility of working hours is a definite asset. Competent computer skills are necessary to actively participate on this Board because most communication is conducted electronically.
The Election Process
In keeping with TESL Ontario’s By-laws and Procedures:
- The Nominating Committee will review all applicants based on their commitment to TESL Ontario’s Strategic Priorities, personal strengths, experience relevant to the current needs of the board, and experience and/or commitment to English language training delivery.
- Nominations from the floor at the AGM will not be accepted.
- The Board will present a slate of candidates to all TESL Ontario members to review.
- Elections for all Board positions will be voted on in the fall. Procedure details will be included in Contact, on the website and will be communicated to the membership.
- The new Board of Directors will be presented at TESL Ontario’s Annual General Meeting on Thursday, December 5, 2019 at the Marriott Downtown at CF Toronto Eaton Centre, Toronto, Ontario.
How to apply
- Complete an online Expression of Interest form
- Submit your resumé by uploading it directly to the Expression of Interest form.
- Applications must be submitted by Wednesday, July 24, 2019 by 12:00 noon.