The TESL Ontario Board of Directors is a group of committed, enthusiastic members who ensure TESL Ontario meets its strategic objectives and who establish policies governing TESL Ontario.
We are looking for TESL Ontario members with a passion for the field and a wealth of experience to serve with us on TESL Ontario's Board of Directors.
We are looking for candidates who:
- are TESL Ontario members
- have served on a TESL Ontario affiliate executive or have board experience on a not-for-profit board
- are strategic thinkers who are committed to the vision and mission of TESL Ontario
- demonstrate leadership qualities
- work well in a collaborative environment
- are comfortable making decisions and delegating
- are comfortable with electronic communication and social media
- are disciplined and have creative problem solving skills
- have a wide range of experiences in the field of English as a Second Language
- have 10 hours per month to commit to the Board-related activities
- are actively involved in the ESL/English language teaching profession in Ontario
About Our Board
The TESL Ontario Board operates with a pure Policy Governance model. All positions are Members-at-Large. Elections are held in the fall and the new slate of Directors is presented at the TESL Ontario Annual General Meeting. The offices of Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary, and Treasurer are all elected from within the Board of Directors after the AGM. New board members will be mentored by experienced board members.
Open Positions for 2021-2022:
- three 3-year term director positions
Benefits of Volunteering as a TESL Ontario Board of Director
Give back to the profession by:
- shaping and contributing to the direction of the profession
- promoting opportunities for professional development
Build your career by:
- developing skills in the areas of leadership, decision making, problem solving, communication, and advocacy
- increasing your knowledge of professional issues
- adding your volunteer experience to your resume
Expand your network of colleagues by:
- meeting ESL professionals from across the province
- building friendships and professional networks
Learn more about the activities of a not-for-profit association by:
- participating in orientation to your role on the Board
- working with a supportive group of professionals
- gaining knowledge of Policy Governance and the meeting process
Directors are expected to serve a 3-year term, with the option for election to another consecutive 3-year term. Meetings will occur 5 or 6 times a year. Currently, all board meetings are held through video-conference using Zoom. When we return to face-to-face meetings, some meetings will be held on Saturdays in Toronto. For these face-to-face meetings, TESL Ontario will cover all travel, accommodation and meal expenses. Flexibility of working hours is a definite asset. Competent computer skills are necessary to actively participate on this Board because most communication is conducted electronically.
The Election Process
In keeping with TESL Ontario’s By-laws and Procedures:
- The Nominating Committee will review all applicants based on their commitment to TESL Ontario’s Strategic Priorities, personal strengths, experience relevant to the current needs of the board, and experience and/or commitment to English language training delivery.
- Nominations from the floor at the AGM will not be accepted.
- The Board will present a slate of candidates to all TESL Ontario members to review.
- Elections for all Board positions will be voted on in the fall. Procedure details will be included in Contact, on the website and will be communicated to the membership.
- The new Board of Directors will be presented at TESL Ontario’s Annual General Meeting on Wednesday, November 3, 2021 in a virtual format.
How to apply
- Complete an online Expression of Interest form
- Submit your resumé by uploading it directly to the Expression of Interest form.
- Applications must be submitted by Friday, June 25, 2021 by 12:00 noon.