1. What is TESL Ontario?
Established in 1972, TESL Ontario is a not-for-profit membership organization that provides support and direction to professionals, government bodies and learners involved in English as a Second Language in Canada. TESL Ontario consists of a provincial office and 12 affiliate chapters, and is governed by a nine-person board of directors.
Our goals and objectives are:
- To provide opportunities for professional development for all sectors of ESL;
- To ensure excellence in the field of Adult non-credit ESL through TESL Ontario Accreditation;
- To provide opportunities for linking with other ESL professional organizations, nationally and internationally through various venues such as CONTACT, and the TESL Ontario website;
- To provide expertise to local, provincial and national government bodies through consultations, representation on committees, etc;
- To promote the development of materials which are appropriate to the needs and the culture of our client groups;
- To operate in a fiscally responsible manner within standard accounting practices.
TESL Ontario provides an accreditation system for educators working in the adult language training field and a recognition process for TESL training programs in Canada. The association is financially supported by membership fees, a portion of which it distributes to the affiliate chapters for local professional development activities.
2. What is the relationship between TESL Ontario and my local TESL Ontario Affiliate Chapter?
Your local TESL Ontario Affiliate Chapter is one of twelve affiliate chapters that are part of the TESL Ontario Association. TESL Ontario sets out operating guidelines for the affiliate chapters and disperses a portion of each member’s membership fee to them. The affiliate chapters’ primary purpose is to provide professional development activities for members within their boundaries of the affiliate chapters.
3. Has TESL Ontario withdrawn from TESL Canada?
Yes, it has. TESL Ontario requested to re-negotiate the Memorandum of Agreement with TESL Canada in September 2014. A new Memorandum of Agreement was not agreed upon. TESL Ontario indicated on May 4, 2015 that it would not renew the current Memorandum of Agreement. The MOA expired on November 4, 2015.
4. Is TESL Canada part of the Canadian government?
No, it is not a part of the Canadian government.
5. Is TESL Canada part of Languages Canada?
No, it is a separate organization from Languages Canada.
6. If I am a TESL Ontario member, am I still a member of TESL Canada?
If you became a member of TESL Ontario or renewed your TESL Ontario membership between Nov. 1, 2014 and Nov. 3, 2015, you are a member of both TESL Canada and TESL Ontario up until your upcoming TESL Ontario membership renewal date in 2015 or 2016.
As of your upcoming TESL Ontario membership renewal date in 2015 or 2016, if you choose to maintain your TESL Canada membership, you must apply to TESL Canada directly.
If you applied for “new” TESL Ontario membership on or after Nov. 4, 2015, your TESL Ontario membership does not include TESL Canada membership. You may contact TESL Canada directly if you wish to apply for its membership.
7. If I am TESL Ontario accredited, am I also TESL Canada certified?
If you are a TESL Ontario accredited member, you are not automatically TESL Canada certified. You must apply directly to TESL Canada for TESL Canada certification.
8. If I am TESL Canada certified, am I TESL Ontario accredited?
If you are certified by TESL Canada, you are not automatically TESL Ontario accredited. You must apply directly to TESL Ontario for accreditation. For more information, please visit the TESL Ontario website at http://www.teslontario.org/accreditation
9. How much is my TESL Ontario membership fee?
For an annual TESL Ontario standard membership, the current cost is $76.00 plus HST. There is also a reduced fee of $50.00 plus HST in the standard membership category for students, volunteers and retirees. For an annual TESL Ontario accredited membership, the cost is $158.00 plus HST.
10. What does TESL Ontario provide for its members?
Professional Accreditation and Approval Certification
- Certificate of Language Instructor Accreditation
- Certificate of TESL Ontario TESL Trainer /PTCT Instructor approval
- TESL Training Program Accreditation
- Post TESL Certificate Training (PTCT) Course Approval
- TESL Ontario Contact e-Magazine
- TESL Ontario Blog
- TESL Ontario Membership Minute e-Newsletter
- TESL Ontario Conference Communiqué
Education, Professional Development & Networking
- TESL Ontario Annual Conference
- Local Affiliate Chapter PD events and conferences
- Free access to TESL Ontario webcasts of previous TESL Ontario conference sessions and plenaries
- Free TESL Ontario webinar series
- Post TESL Training courses
- Online Job Board
- Online Volunteer Job Board
- TESL Ontario Online Registries of Accredited Members, TESL Trainers and PTCT Instructors
- TESL Ontario Social media pages including Facebook, Linked In Group, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and the TESL Blog
- TESL Ontario Career Corner with career advice articles/information
- Networking opportunities through PD events, online communities, volunteering on committees, TESL board or affiliate chapter executives
Professional Recognition Awards / Activities
- Distinguished Contribution Award
- Sparks of Excellence Award
- Affiliate Chapter Service Award
- National Volunteers Week celebrations & certificates of appreciation
- Group Insurance for Health and Dental
- Group Insurance for Auto and Home
- Member Savings Programs – retail, online, book, educational supplies and entertainment discounts
11. What is TESL Ontario’s relationship with TESOL International?
TESL Ontario is an affiliate of TESOL International. TESL Ontario pays an annual affiliate fee of $450 US.
12. Who do I contact with questions not found in FAQs?
We are your association and are here for you. Please contact us any time with your questions or concerns.
Membership Inquiries: Allison Keown at 416.593.4243 x204
Accreditation Inquiries: Reza Mazloom-Farzaghy at 416.593.4243 x205
General Inquires: Kevin Gamble at 416.593.4243 x202