Develop your Career with a TESL Ontario Membership
- professional credibility,
- a community of support,
- quality professional development,
- specialized resources,
- career development support, and
- professional recognition.
View the TESL Ontario Membership Information Brochure.
TESL Ontario provides three types of membership:
Designed for individuals interested in teaching adult ESL in Ontario, across Canada or internationally. There are two levels of certification available.
Designed for individuals working on the language training profession in Ontario, but who are not required by their employer to be TESL Ontario accredited.
Designed for TESL students, individuals volunteering in the ESL community and retirees.
TESL Ontario offers two levels of Certification, OCELT (Ontario Certified English Language Teachers) and the new initial level of certificationCTESOL (Canadian Teacher of English to Speakers of Other Languages).
OCELT Certification is designed for individuals interested in teaching English to adult learners in publicly funded and private programs in Ontario, other Canadian provinces and territories; and abroad.
Includes the following professional certifications/designation (upon application approval):
- Certificate of Accreditation (OCELT)
- International Certificate in Teaching English as an Additional Language (ICTEAL),
- Ontario Certified English Language Teacher (OCELT) professional designation, and
- Listing in the online Registry of OCELT teachers
Click HERE for detailed information about the OCELT application process.
CTESOL Certification is designed for individuals interested in teaching in non-publicly funded programs in Ontario, in both private and publicly-funded programs in other Canadian provinces and territories, and in a variety of contexts abroad.
Includes the following professional certification/designation (upon application approval)
- Certificate of Accreditation (CTESOL), and
- Canadian Teacher of English to Speakers of Other Languages (CTESOL) professional designation
Click HERE for detailed information about the CTESOL application process.
This membership category is designed for individuals working in the language training profession in Ontario, but who are not required by their employers to be TESL Ontario accredited. For example: administrators, private schools teachers, supply teachers, TESL Trainers, assessors etc. Standard membership does not include a certificate of accreditation.
Membership Includes the following member benefits:
- Free bi-monthly webinars,
- Free Affiliate Chapter membership,
- TESL Ontario publications (Contact Magazine, TESL Ontario Membership Minute, TESL Ontario Blog)
- Free admission to employer exhibits at the annual Career Connections event
- Member discount to annual conference, and more!
- Students - Make connections with language training professionals and gain access to valuable resources that will help kick start a career in English language education.
- Language training volunteers - Engage with a professional community for idea-sharing, networking, career and personal development.
- Retirees - Stay connected with the TESL teaching community.
Certified (OCELT, CTESOL, ICTEAL) and Standard Membership (Including Student, volunteer, retiree)
Please note that no supporting documents are required for standard membership, however if you are applying for the reduced rate for student/volunteer/retiree membership you will be required to provide the following information.
- Teaching volunteers must submit a letter from your supervisor
- Part-time or full-time students must provide proof of post secondary program registration.