Annual Renewal of Membership / Certification
TESL Ontario membership and certification must be renewed annually in order to remain valid.
The expiry date is indicated on the membership card or certificate of accreditation.
As a part of our annual renewal process, TESL Ontario will email** up to three renewal notices to members up for renewal.
- The first renewal notice will be emailed approximately 6 weeks prior to the expiry date and will include detailed instructions about the renewal process.
- The second renewal notice will be emailed upon their expiry date to individuals who have not yet renewed, with information about the one-month grace period (to provide individuals extra time to complete their renewal.)
- A third and final reminder will be emailed upon the end of the one-month grace period.
Please note that any certification renewals submitted after the grace period will be required to undergo a reinstatement process.
**If there is no email address on file, the renewal reminders will be mailed.
TESL Ontario provides three types of membership:
Designed for individuals interested in teaching adult ESL in Ontario, across Canada or internationally. There are two levels of certification available.
Designed for individuals working on the language training profession in Ontario, but who are not required by their employer to be TESL Ontario accredited.
Designed for TESL students, individuals volunteering in the ESL community and retirees.
- Retiring? Retirees who wish to remain connected to the TESL teaching community, but who no longer require TESL Ontario certification can change their membership type from Accredited to Retiree. All you need to do is email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you would like to change your membership category.
PD Audit (certification only)
Individuals with certification who have received notice that they have been selected as a part of our random PD audit process to provide proof of 10 hours of PD, must submit their proof of PD to TESL Ontario prior to submitting their renewal application. Any renewal payment received from audited members without proof of PD will not be processed until proof of PD has been provided.
- Standard Membership $76 + HST = $85.88
- Student/Volunteer/Retiree Membership $50 + HST = 56.50
- Certification (OCELT, ICTEAL) $158 + HST = $178.54
- Certification (CTESOL – with TESL Ontario membership) $158 + HST = $178.54
How to Renew
Certified (OCELT, CTESOL, ICTEAL) and Standard Membership (Including Student, volunteer, retiree)
Print the apprpirate membeship form and mail it with payment to the TESL Ontario office at 27 Carlton St., Toronto, ON M5B 1L2.
Non-Certified Printable Membership Renewal Forms: