Laurentian University’s Language Institute is seeking a qualified English as a second language instructor to teach English for Academic Preparation at Jiangxi University of Science and Technology (JUST) in Jiangxi Province, China. This 14-week course is offered from February 24th – May 29th, 2020.
The successful candidate will be responsible for teaching the second semester of a four-semester, two-year program for first-year engineering students at JUST. The purpose of this program is to adequately prepare students for intensive academic courses in May/June 2020 taught by visiting faculty members from the Department of Engineering at Laurentian University.
We are currently looking for a professional, dynamic and qualified English teacher who is passionate in teaching young adults in one of our partner universities in the province of Jiangxi, China. The successful candidate will teach grammar, academic writing, reading and critical thinking skills, and listening and speaking.
- Plan, prepare, and deliver instructional activities that facilitate learning experiences
- Develop daily lesson plans and prepare class activities
- Establish and communicate clear objectives for all learning activities
- Use relevant technology to support language instruction
- Assign and grade class work, homework, tests and assignments
- Provide appropriate and timely feedback on all assignments
- Encourage and monitor the progress of individual students
- Maintain accurate and complete academic records of students’ progress and attendance
- Communicate necessary information regularly to students regarding personal academic progress
- Prepare final reports for students
- Be professional, motivated and have a strong focus on academic excellence
- Work closely with program administration at Jiangxi University of Science and Technology
- Provide weekly updates to the Language Institute Program Manager
Qualifications for this position include:
- Ability to teach all skill areas: listening, speaking, reading, writing, and grammar
- Minimum of a B.A.
- Minimum TESL Canada Certification
- Previous teaching experience in an English for Academic Preparation at a university, college, or private language school
- International teaching experience preferred
A portion of the contract hours will be assigned prior to departing for China, as the successful candidate will be required to participate in the following:
- Pre-departure orientation
- Course preparation
Included in the contract while in China:
- Accommodations, flights, and airport pick-up upon arrival and when returning to Canada
- Visa Application Fees
- Travel and Health Insurance
- Communication while in China (cell phone for local calls)
Not included in the contract while in China:
- Meal allowance on and off-campus
- Personal travel
- Transportation outside of teaching hours
- Personal classroom supplies
Included in the contract while in Canada:
- Time allocated for course preparation and pre-departure orientation: February 10th – February 21st
Instructors are employed by Laurentian University and salaries are paid in Canadian currency and directly deposited into your Canadian banking institution.
The salary for this contract is $20,875. This includes two-weeks allocated for course preparation and fourteen weeks teaching in China. Teaching hours per week range between 15-20.
The deadline to apply is Friday, December 13th. Please include the following in your application:
- A letter of application with an up-to-date curriculum vitae
- TESL Canada or TESL Ontario certificate
Interested applicants are invited to submit the information requested above to email@example.com