With 37 years of operations, Skills for Change is a highly respected non-profit charity with a province wide reputation for pioneering programs that respond to shifting immigration and workplace trends and lead to employment. We offer a range of accelerated programs including mentoring, employment, settlement, language training together with specialized programs for trades, women, and youth. We have 5 locations across the GTA, over 70 full-time and part-time staff and serve 14,000 clients annually.
PROGRAM NATURE AND SCOPE:
The Bridge2Work programs embeds elements of training, including (where applicable) sector specific language workshops/programs, sector-based workshops, technical upgrading and soft skills workshops with employment supports including employment preparation, counselling, mentoring, and paid job placements. Skills for Change is dedicated to providing training opportunities in the Skilled Trades sector. The purpose of this Bridge2Work program is to support Internationally Trained Professionals (ITPs) in their path to employment in trades. This program assists ITPs with a background in but not limited to engineering, IT, architect, construction trades, etc. Delivery will include sector-specific information, technical upgrading, referrals, skills assessments, career action plans, individual/group employment counselling, workshops related to workplace inclusion, mentoring, job search, job retention, job placement, and employer and employment supports.
The incumbent will work with Bridge2Work Programs and Employment Ontario teams.
- Network with community agencies and perform community outreach visits to promote and raise profile of Skills for Change and to promote Bridge2Work programs
- Provide clients with information sessions on Skills for Change programs as well as all relevant resources and services available in the community
- Conduct outreach for new clients and perform screening and common assessments to establish client needs and service requirement
- Actively engage employers, develop and implement strategies to maintain long term relations
- Facilitate information sessions, provide one on one counselling support and guidance as well as develop client career action plans
- Research and keep updated on labor market information related to the professions in the Bridge2Work programs
- Support clients with specialized needs and assist them to navigate their career transitions and address their barriers in achieving their career goals
- Develop client employment action plans, including job search preparation, understanding the labour market demands, managing their expectations, supporting their job search activities, assisting them to match resumes with job postings and prepare them for interviews, monitor their work placements, and support their job readiness and retention once employed.
- Conduct client referrals to appropriate wraparound supports/services to address client needs
- Facilitate workplace preparation and essential skills workshops that include career planning, employer expectations, workplace empowerment and advancement, and gender-sensitive training
- Develop, implement and revise as necessary an effective marketing strategy to build employer contacts as well as a strategy for marketing trades clients to employers
- Market clients to potential employers and help clients find paid work placements
- Assist employers in developing on-the-job training plans and monitoring of placements
- Conduct site visits assessing the appropriateness of the workplace and the capacity of the employer to provide a positive experience and work-related training
- Liaise with partners to develop and support clients through the training and placement
- Coordinate mentorship networking and individual mentoring sessions between clients and alumni and/or volunteers
- Work with the partners and teams to develop and support job retention strategies both from an employer and client perspective
- Maintain client case management files, update client information on Funders’ and Agency required databases (EOIS-CaMS, Salesforce, iCARE) and track and produce all statistical reports as required by the program, including preparing client testimonials and success stories
- Follow up with clients at regular intervals as mandated or required by the program
- Participate and assist in the organization, marketing, and promotion of various events such as employer engagement, mentoring, networking sessions, special events etc.
- Work as part of the agency, EO and Bridge2Work Specialists teams to ensure smooth delivery and coordination of services to clients
- Facilitation of employment workshops at Skills for Change sites and in the community
- Provide staff backup support as required within teams, EO and agency locations
- Maintain positive professional relationships and communication links with public and other relevant community resources
- Participate in the agency distribution, collection, and analysis of participant surveys and other evaluation and tracking procedures
- Evaluate the effectiveness of service delivery and present solutions to enhance services on an ongoing basis
- Execute other duties and tasks as required by the Site Supervisor and Senior Manager of Programs and Services
- Participate in all meetings and Agency events as required
- Post-Secondary degree in social work, education, business, or other related field is required
- Test of English as a Second Language (TESL) certification required with a minimum of one (1) year teaching experience
- Minimum 3 years of experience providing wrap-around supports, job coaching and counselling for women, youth, newcomers and immigrants, and individuals in receipt of social assistance required
- Criminal reference check for vulnerable sector is required
- Experienced recruiting and developing relationships with employers to establish placement and employment opportunities
- Knowledge and understanding of Adult learning principles
- Experience delivering classroom and on-line training
- Knowledge of, and familiarity with labour market information and licensing requirements for Internationally Trained Professionals in various professions
- Knowledge of community resources that can support women, youth, newcomers and immigrants, and individuals in receipt of social assistance, in order to provide the necessary guidance and referrals
- Sensitivity to, and understanding of, issues and barriers to employment faced by women, newcomers, immigrants, youth and other disadvantaged groups
- Excellent employment counselling and facilitation skills
- Exceptional verbal, written communication and customer service skills
- Excellent collaboration skills and adaptability to change
- Strong Problem solving and organizational skills
- Proficiency in Windows, MS Office, Google suite, ability to deliver PowerPoint presentations
- Knowledge of Salesforce, EOIS-CaMS and iCARE is an asset
- Vehicle or daytime access to vehicle is required, position requires travel.
PLEASE SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO: email@example.com
Skills for Change provides learning and training opportunities for immigrants, refugees and equity seeking groups to access and fully participate in the workplace and wider community to persons with disabilities to newcomers to Canada (including refugees) to Indigenous peoples to members of a visible minority to children or youth to seniors to the LGBTQ2 community.
Skills for Change offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in each stage of the hiring process. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation. This document is available in alternate format on request.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.