Gary Allan High School is hiring non-credit Adult LINC/ESL Instructors to teach a variety of English as a Second Language courses, using the CLB standards and framework, including IELTS preparation, Business English and a variety of specialized language training courses (SLT courses).
Dates & Times
November 2, 2020 - June 30, 2021
Morning Classes run 5 days per week, 3 hours per class
Afternoon/Evening Classes run 2 days per week, 2 hours per class
Preferences for program sessions/availability will be discussed during the interview process and confirmed as part of the job offer
At this time all classes will be held virtually, with a phased approach to opening in-person classes to be scheduled at several sites in the Halton region (Oakville/Burlington/Milton/Halton Hills)
Rate of Pay
$44.00 per hour (includes vacation and statutory holiday pay)
- OCELT designation (https://www.teslontario.org/ocelt-professional-designation)
- Minimum 3 years of classroom teaching experience
- Ability to develop courses, units and lessons tailored to client’s learning needs using principles articulated as per the CLB Curriculum Guidelines for the Adult Non-Credit Language Training Program.
- Excellent knowledge of the National Language Placement and Progression Guidelines (NLPPG)
- Experience assessing learners’ language gains and progress according to the Canadian Language Benchmarks using Portfolio Based Language Assessment (PBLA) protocols. Prepare learners’ conference summary and progress reports. Conducting one-on-one interviews with learners to provide feedback on learning progress (PBLA certification required).
- Experience teaching virtually (in addition to teaching in face-to-face setting)
- Experience developing and delivering sector specific SLTs, an asset.
- Ability to apply the tenets of the Principles and Components of Program Planning, the main accompanying document to the Curriculum Guidelines.
- Familiarity with the History of Assessment, Referral and Training Systems (HARTs) for entering learner data
- Excellent English communication skills (written/oral) ; Strong interpersonal skills.
We believe that every person has a right to equitable treatment and freedom from
discrimination. The Halton District School Board recognizes the intents contained in the
Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Upon request, we will make reasonable interview and employment accommodations during the
selection process, based on any of the human rights protected grounds.
Ensuring the safety of our students is essential. For this reason, external applicants hired to the
HDSB must provide an original copy of an acceptable criminal background check with
vulnerable sector screening.
The HDSB is committed to providing a respectful and healthy work environment.
Please apply by submitting your resume and cover letter no later than Tuesday, September 22nd, 2020 at 4:00 p.m. to Apply to Education, www.applytoeducation.com, JOB CODE #2912670