With 38 years of operations, Skills for Change is a highly respected non-profit charity with a province wide reputation for pioneering programs that respond to shifting immigration and workplace trends and lead to employment. We offer a range of accelerated programs including mentoring, employment, settlement, language training together with specialized programs for skilled trades, women, and youth. We have 5 locations across the GTA and serve 16,000 clients annually. We believe we are in the best position to provide thought leadership through evidence-based programming, impact stories and proactive policy advocacy using knowledge mobilization products.
The support and needs of newcomers are constantly changing. As Skills for Change continues to support newcomers and meet
their evolving needs, it is imperative that we build upon innovative ways to serve them. The Program Outreach Specialist is able
to establish meaningful and sustainable relationships with existing and new employers, corporations and cross-sector leaders who can
provide our clients with opportunities to build their skills, knowledge and networks so that they can be successfully integrated into
Canadian job market. The incumbent will work collaboratively with other Skills for Change programs, assist with executing the Agency’s
outreach strategy and maintaining key employer relationships for areas including but not limited to skills trades (Trades Win Support
Programs). Delivery will include sector-specific and employer workshops and information sessions, referrals, skills, assessment, action plans, career plans and individual/group employment support.
- Support implementation of a region-specific outreach plan to generate leads, referrals, and increased client participation of the Trades Win Support Program
- Build effective partnerships with external agencies for referrals and networking
- Contribute to the development of marketing plans for trades program including community engagement, web and online promotions
- Enhance TWSP digital presence and increase on-line enrollment
- Attend and participate in relevant networking events and develop partnerships with industry associations and key stakeholders
- Measure and report on the impact of outreach and marketing activities
- Establish and maintain relationships with client and ability to assess their needs to successfully complete the Program
- Generate program content as needed to support program management, delivery and evaluation
- Actively contribute to business planning and performance monitoring to support agreement and delivery of targets
- Direct program communications to clients, partners and ensure consistency of quality
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with various cross-functional groups
- Participate in the evaluation of the program’s effectiveness and work closely with team members to propose and test innovative solutions to enhance overall success
Employer Partnership Development
- Assist in the identification and establishing of trade employer relationships
- Facilitate relationship building with existing and new employer and corporate partners
- Establish and maintain new employer partner relationships
- Maintain a working knowledge of local and national employment market trends in trades and their impact on the sector
- Coordinate and implement trade events, including job and career fairs, information sessions, networking events and other events
- Deliver program specific workshops for employers, partnership agencies and potential clients
- Facilitate workplace preparation and essential skills workshops that include career planning, employer expectations, workplace empowerment and advancement
- Identify mentors and develop and maintain a mentoring network for clients
- Assist employers in developing on-the-job training plans and monitoring of placements
- Ensure timely completion of all documents and required reports and data entry
- Conduct site visits and conduct assessment of the work site and employer’s capacity to provide a positive experience and work-related training
Customer & Client Service
- Provide clients with information sessions on Skills for Change programs as well as all relevant resources and services available in the community
- Facilitate information sessions, provide one on one support and guidance as well as develop client career action plans
- Provide 1-1 support to clients navigating career transition and experiencing challenges in establishing networks and securing employment
- Work closely with program participants to develop individualized job specific action plans, managing client expectations and demonstrate compassion and understanding of the difficulty experienced by newcomers
- When required, refer clients to internal and external programs and services that meet their specific needs
- Work as part of a team to ensure smooth delivery and coordination of program services to clients
- Participate in team meetings, staff meetings, and all other board and committee meetings as required
- Handle all other duties as they may be assigned by Management
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Experience recruiting and developing relationships with employers to establish placement and employment opportunities
- Experience planning, hosting and marketing events for internal and external stakeholders
- Knowledge and understanding of Adult learning principles
- Experience delivering classroom and on-line training
- Knowledge of, and familiarity with labour market information and licensing requirements for Internationally Trained Professionals in various professions
- Experience conducting research labour market research for specific employment sectors
- Knowledge of community resources that can support women, youth, newcomers and immigrants, and individuals in receipt of social assistance, in order to provide the necessary guidance and referrals
- Sensitivity to, and understanding of, issues and barriers to employment faced by women, newcomers, immigrants, youth and other disadvantaged groups
- Experience in communications, marketing or public relations or partnership development considered an asset.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication
- Proficiency in Windows, MS Office, Google suite, ability to deliver engaging presentations
- Woking knowledge of Salesforce Lightning is an asset
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, public relations, communications or relevant subject area required, masters considered and asset.
- Test of English as a Second Language (TESL) certification required with a minimum of one (1) year teaching experience newcomers and immigrants, and individuals in receipt of social assistance required
- Minimum 3 years of experience providing wrap-around supports, job coaching or counselling for women, youth,
- Clear vulnerable sector check is required
- Vehicle or daytime access to vehicle is required, position requires travel.
Skills for Change provides learning and training opportunities for immigrants, refugees and equity seeking groups to access and fully participate in the workplace and wider community to persons with disabilities to newcomers to Canada (including refugees) to Indigenous peoples to members of a visible minority to children or youth to seniors to the LGBTQ2 community.
Skills for Change offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in each stage of the hiring process. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation. This document is available in alternate format on request.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
PLEASE SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO: firstname.lastname@example.org