REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
Online Curriculum Development for Enhanced Language Training
for Internationally Trained Professionals
Background and Objectives
COSTI Immigrant Services seeks an experienced curriculum writer to review and update the existing on-line training modules on Moodle for the Enhanced Language Training (ELT) program for Internationally Trained Professionals. Sector-specific Online Training Modules are a key component of COSTI’s ELT program. Content of the Online Modules cover labour market information, industry trends, accreditation pathways, sector-specific language use, and case studies that draw on relevant online resources, as well as government and professional web links. The goal is to assist participants in accessing gainful employment and job maintenance. As the labour market and online information are constantly changing, these ELT Online Modules require review and updates to ensure that the content and the web links stay current and are reflective of newcomers’ needs.
The ELT program is funded by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
*This project aims at updating and enhancing the existing modular content in each of the following sectors:
Accounting and Finance
Teaching and Education
Office Administration and Customer Service
*The consultant(s) could select to work on the online modules for one or multiple sectors in this project.
Scope of Work and Deliverables
The consultant(s) could select to work on the online modules for one or multiple sectors in this project. For each of the selected sector-specific online course(s), the Consultant(s) will:
- Review the existing 9-week/45-hour asynchronous online course content on Moodle to identify inaccuracies, outdated information and gaps
- Update, change or remove modular content and activities to align with the latest Labour Market information, industry trends, accreditation pathways, career options, sector specific language use, case studies and job search-related resources
- Create and develop new content and activities to enhance the relevance of existing modules to a range of professions in the selected sector specific course and to an online work environment
- Update the Agenda/Overview to align with the learning objectives in each weekly module
- Incorporate reading materials, resources, web links, audio and visual aids where appropriate, as well as exercises and activities (e.g. case studies, forum discussions, quizzes, assignments, etc.) in each weekly module
- Enhance the glossary of sector terminology
- Incorporate adult education principles and teaching English as a Second Language principles
- Modules for Week 1 to Week 3 to be completed by the end the 2nd Week of the Project
- Modules for Week 4 to Week 6 to be completed by the end of the 4th Week of the Project
- Modules for Week 6 to 9 to be completed by the end of the 6th Week of the Project
- All supporting documentation and additional references to be completed by the 7th Week of the Project
Total available budget is $9,000 (HST included) for each of the sector specific online courses selected.
- Review exiting online training modules to identify gaps for curriculum enhancement and development
- Write curriculum directly into the LMS (Moodle) targeting participants at Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLBs) 6 to 9
- Each weekly module will include reading materials, resources and web links, audio and visual aids where appropriate, as well as exercises and activities to check participants’ understanding and to assist participants in improving their sector terminology use and workplace communication skills
- Each weekly module will include a variety of activities that will appeal to different learning styles
- Provide a summary of all online course content added or modified, with a brief description and links to the added resources and activities
- Provide a sampling of good resumes from across the main job categories of the sector
- Include and provide complete references for all cited materials added
- Follow copyright law for citations, audio and visual materials and use of images
- Provide weekly updates on the progress of the project via emails
- Meet with the project’s designated contact as needed for progress monitoring and course adjustments
In preparing for a submission, all bidders must contact the Language & Skills Training General Manager, Regina Chan at Regina.Chan@costi.org to obtain a temporary enrollment key and review the existing ELT online training modules. The existing content and format are the basis upon which the RFP work will build.
In submitting a written response to this RFP, the consultant(s) will:
- Specify which sector specific course(s) the proposal is responding to
- Outline their understanding of the project goals, objectives and deliverables and set out their proposed workplan to achieve same. The workplan should include any qualifications on the scope of work projected to be delivered, limitations and assumptions.
- Provide reference examples of comparable assignments conducted and contact information for two clients for phone references
- Provide a CV for yourself / your firm referencing the scope of your consulting practice and professional specialties
- A total and breakdown in fees showing time attributed to each deliverable and the applicable daily rate. A proposed schedule for fee payments should be included including all applicable taxes.
- This call assumes the consultant will work out of his/her own business premises. COSTI will arrange access to the LMS as required.
The selection committee will review submissions, select and if deemed necessary, interview semi-finalists based on their comprehension of the project goals and objectives, relevant past experience and cost. Reference checks will be made on the finalist before offering a contract. COSTI may choose not to accept any consultant from those submitting and is not bound to select the lowest bidder.
All work products and research developed for this project will remain the sole intellectual property of COSTI.
The submission deadline is March 4th, 2021, 4:30 pm, with delivery by email to the attention of:
Regina Chan, General Manager, Language & Skills Training Services, York Region
COSTI Immigrant Services
Welcome Centre Markham North, 8400 Woodbine Avenue, Markham
Ontario L3R 4N7