Program Team Leader, CLARS
(Full Time Salaried Contract – until March 31, 2022)
Reports to: Program Manager
Location: Multiple CLARS Sites
The YMCA Language Assessment and Referral Centre functions as the first step of the language training pathway for immigrants to Canada. All immigrants wishing to access language classes funded by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada and the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development need to undergo an assessment at the language assessment centre.
The Team Leader is responsible for high-quality program delivery and ensuring effective daily site service. This includes administration of the CLB assessment tools, referral of immigrants to the most appropriate language training program funded by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development direct supervision of site staff, assisting in the development and implementation of program policies and procedures, and administrative functions.
The Team Leader ensures achievement of program goals and establishment and nurturing of effective working relationships within the program, the Association and the community.
- Screens clients’ immigration status eligibility for placement in IRCC and MLTSD funded language training.
- Administers Canadian Language Benchmarks assessment tools according to principles outlined in the initial training and according to the YMCA, IRCC and MLTSD policies and standards.
- Refers clients to the most appropriate language training providers based on Canadian Language Benchmarks, the national placement grid and individual client needs.
- Re-refers clients whose needs have changed since initial assessment.
- Provides language needs assessment information to clients.
- Maintains accurate, up-to-date client files and documentation using a shared database.
- Assists in developing, implementing and evaluating an annual operations plan consistent with the policies and procedures of the YMCA, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada and the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development.
- Assists in developing and ensuring compliance with specific program/site policies and procedures relevant to high-quality service delivery.
- Provides assistance to manager and other team leaders in recruiting and hiring.
- Provides training, coaching, and motivation to the team.
- Monitors performance and appraises staff to achieve program objectives.
- Works closely with the manager, team leaders, and team members in scheduling internal and external trainings, in-house guest speaker sessions and off-site assessments.
- Maintains and submits weekly and monthly statistical and progress reports.
- Coordinates and chairs regular site meetings in order to assist in identifying and addressing site trends, gaps and opportunities.
- Actively builds links and partnerships within the sector and participates in community meetings.
- Works closely with and provides support to the senior management team in order to achieve quality fiscal and program targets.
- Maintains regular contact with language training providers and other community partners thereby sharing program information with all stakeholders in a timely manner.
- Participates in volunteer supervision, staff meetings and professional development trainings as required.
- Demonstrates appropriate behaviours in line with our Mission, Vision and Values as reflected in our YMCA competencies; takes a member focused approach to increase their understanding of programs offered across the Association. Represents the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner.
- Understands the legal responsibilities and moral imperative to report suspected child abuse to Children's Aid Society.
- Understands the importance of the volunteer staff partnership and integrates the value of philanthropy and volunteerism in dealings with members, volunteers, donors and staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- TESL Ontario accreditation is mandatory
- Experience teaching ESL to adults (300 hrs min)
- Posts-secondary education in a related field
- Previous experience in a supervisory capacity
- Prior completion of CLBA assessment tool, and other in-person and virtual assessment tools training is an asset.
- Proficiency in a second language is a strong asset
- Proficient with personal computer applications, e.g. Microsoft Office, Microsoft Outlook, Internet search engines, Power Point, Excel, Zoom, etc.
- Well-developed interpersonal and relationship building skills, ability to establish rapport, and excellent communication with staff, clients, and volunteers
- Excellent written communication skills
- Excellent interview and assessment skills
- Flexibility regarding assigned work hours and locations
- Must be able to work evening shifts, Saturday and Sunday shifts
- Strong organizational skills and ability to effectively prioritize responsibilities
- Ability to work in an efficient manner both independently and as part of a team
- Experience and sensitivity in dealing with individuals of different cultural and racial backgrounds, including visible and non-visible dimensions of diversity
- The position requires the following Core Association and Leadership Competencies: superior competence in: Effective Interpersonal Communications; Ethics and Self Management; Teamwork and Collaboration; being Member Focused; Strategic Orientation and Change Management; advanced competence in: Being Results Focused; Valuing Diversity and Social Inclusion; Relationship Building and Partnering; Leadership; People Management; Planning and Initiative; fundamental competence in: Association Management and Stewardship; Building Community Relationships and Resources; Cross Functional Integration.
Job offers are contingent upon the successful completion of a Police Records Check. Within the first four months and every three years thereafter, a Vulnerable Police Records Check is required.
If you are hired, prior to your start date and as a condition of your employment, you will be required to provide proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have a valid medical or other Human Rights Code-related exemption.
Please send résumé and cover letter
quoting job posting # 988 by Friday, November 12, 2021 to:
Manager, Language Assessment and Referral Centre (CLARS)